EIC Field Staff, Mike and Marianne Botting endured the biggest trial they have had in their 6 years living in Uganda. During a very windy day, a nearby bush fire sent sparks towards their home, setting fire to their thatched roof. Though they had taken precautions several weeks earlier by clearing the grass near alongside their house, they had not foreseen this problem. Just after they finished eating lunch, their house caught fire and began to burn.
Despite their devastation, Mike and Marianne both commented on God’s provision.
“We are so thankful that there was nobody hurt, and even many of our things were saved. People emerged from all around, carrying water and helping to receive the things that a very courageous few were throwing out the door… for about an hour! We were awed and amazed how people unquestioningly put their own safety at risk for us today. We felt the grace of God in a deeper and more real way than perhaps ever before.
When we told them we never expected to recover anything from the house, and how humbled we were at their selflessness in rescuing many things from the house, they just said, ‘This is what we do in Acholiland.’
An old woman tenderly took my hand and told me to keep trusting in God. She’s had her house burned down twice, and yet God has always provided. We’ve been receiving phone calls from all over from friends who heard and are calling to comfort us.
We are deeply sad to have lost where we called home for the past six years, and also to have lost keepsakes and some valuables. But we have a deep peace that we know comes from God.”
Emmanuel International rejoices with the Bottings that they are safe, but are searching for prayers and donations as they decide on the next steps of their journey.
“Do not fear, for I am with you;
Do not be afraid, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you, be assured I will help you;
I will certainly take hold of you with My righteous right hand [a hand of justice, of power, of victory, of salvation].”